Re: BYOC - Debian image

Subject: Re: BYOC - Debian image
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net )
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 22:30:22 AKDT

Well, Jon, yes, there is more to it than that.

Given there is an appropriate stanza in /etc/fstab and an appropriate
mount point, such as /floppy or /cdrom, any user could have the
priviledge of saying, "mount /floppy" or "mount /cdrom". Media must be
in the device and the user must say "umount /<mount point> before
removing said media.

For dos floppies, there is a set of tools (mtools in Debian) which
permit a number of file system actions without mounting the floppy.

There is also the automount path. Several harddisks ago, about kernel
2.0 time, I think I had such a setup for CD-ROMS. Music CD's are a
different matter. Here, I am over my head, so I will go no further.

It is important your client understand how Unice does things as opposed
to how billg wants us to do things.

Cheerio! fgd.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:44:14PM -0800, Jon Reynolds wrote:

> Hey Greg,
>
> I just had one of the fellow's that took the class and had Debian
> installed ask how he accesses his cdrom and floppy. Is it as simple as
> 'mount cdrom' 'mount floppy' or is there more to it than that? I was
> thinking we could update the image with a mount/umount cdrom/floppy icon
> on the desktop. Good idea or overkill?
>
> Jon

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .-.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Woody" v3.0r1
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^