Re: Ideas about lock ups??

Subject: Re: Ideas about lock ups??
From: Christopher Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 06:52:28 AKDT

Joshua,

* Joshua J.Kugler <isd@as.uaf.edu> [2003-Jul-24 01:13 AKDT]:
> 4. Can't ctrl-atl-del, can't change consoles, can't kill X, must hit
> reset
> 5. Watch hard drive get corrupted due to 1) lock up or 2) non-clean shutdown.

I guess I'd suspect something related to X, or hardware. Have you
checked the memory with memtest86?

As far as finding out what's going on, stick to console mode (no X). If
you can get the problem to happen there, you may be able to see the
kernel oops and get an idea of what's going on. If the kernel you're
using has been built with the Alt-Sysrq keys, you can see if they're
responding once the system crashes (Alt-Sysrq-t will show you what
processes are going, Alt-Sysrq-s will attempt to sync your disks,
Alt-Sysrq-u will attempt to remount all drives RO and Alt-Sysrq-b will
reboot the system). When I've got a machine that oopsed and isn't
responding, I do Alt-Sysrq-s, -u, -b to reboot it. Doesn't save all the
parititons from potential damage, but it'll sync and remount the ones it
can.

> Oh, and another fun, but probably unrelated, glitch (but told for
> trouble shooting purposes): during hard drive access, there often
> appear short, randomly positioned (although usually on the right side)
> lines on the screen. Very brief, kind of dance around the screen.

Yikes. Sounds like hardware. I wonder if the video card is bad?
Again, try to get the system to die in console mode, maybe swap in a
different video card if you have one.

Chris

--
Christopher S. Swingley          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program         Please use encryption.  GPG key at: