Ideas about lock ups??

Subject: Ideas about lock ups??
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 01:13:58 AKDT

Here's the procedure. It's happened more than once, so it seems
reproducible, I just don't like reproducing it.

1. Start music CD playing
2. Start a program that accesses the CD-ROM drive
        Win4Lin, Win4Lin installer, file manager, etc.
3. Watch computer pull a complete lock up
4. Watch scroll lock, caps lock, and num lock lights flash in unison, about
half self pulses
4. Can't ctrl-atl-del, can't change consoles, can't kill X, must hit reset
5. Watch hard drive get corrupted due to 1) lock up or 2) non-clean shutdown.
 So bad this last time, in fact, that I had to reinstall. /home was OK,
though.

Mandrake 9.1, Win4Lin kernel (last time it barfed)

Shuttle SV24 (FV24 mobo)
512MB RAM
40GB Seagate ST340823A
Maxtor 4GB 84320D4
Memorex 52MAXX (LiteOn 52/24/52)

Oh, and another fun, but probably unrelated, glitch (but told for trouble
shooting purposes): during hard drive access, there often appear short,
randomly positioned (although usually on the right side) lines on the screen.
 Very brief, kind of dance around the screen.

Anyone have any ideas? It *might* be Win4Lin related, I haven't tried it
with a purely stock kernel. Will after I post this. If you don't hear from
me real soon, you'll know my system got trashed again. :)

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks