Re: Simple/cheap (?) data recovery?

Subject: Re: Simple/cheap (?) data recovery?
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 20:17:18 AKDT

> If attempted, you would need a clean room environment & suit up. This
> may be why it cost so much to have it done for you.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips821/

Here is a site online about putting a clear plexiglass window in a hard
drive. It goes into creating a semi-clean room environment in your
bathroom, and precautions to take to take care with bare platters.

Most of their information is contained in this paragraph:
"Then, turn your shower on real hot and let it run for a while with the
door shut. This raises the humidity in the room and effectively pulls
the dirt floating around in the air to the ground. This is as clean as
the air will get. Just make sure it isn't so humid that there are little
drops of water floating around and you'll be fine. Once it is fairly
humid, turn it off and wait just for a little while for all the water
droplets and dirt to settle."

Anyway, I wouldn't chance it, if's the data is worth the thousands that
it costs to attepmt to recover it, that is. If it's just random data
that you can live without and isn't very valuable, I'd say "Why Not?" :)

Justin