Re: Simple/cheap (?) data recovery?

Subject: Re: Simple/cheap (?) data recovery?
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 16:42:04 AKDT

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Joshua J.Kugler wrote:

> We recently had two of our three 9.1BG IBM drives that were in our RAID5
> array (on a Mylex controller) go bad. Right now, I'm assuming that it is an
> electronics issue, because of various circumstances. I'm getting quotes in
> the middle to high four figures for data recovery. Is there any way to
> recover that data cheaply assuming it is the electronics and not a bad media
> issue?
>
> I have calls into OnTrack and DriveSavers. Any others with whom you've had
> personal experience?

None that I've had personal experience with, but in cases of bad
electronics I've heard of buying an identical drive, and swapping the
platters between the two. Never done it myself, and obviously I'm sure
you'd have to be extremely careful.

I'd have to think long and hard about going that route with production
hardware/data, not ever actually having tried it myself before, but it's
one option anyhow.

Mike