Old Boxen and Fouracre

Subject: Old Boxen and Fouracre
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net )
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 15:20:02 AKDT

Greetings all,

I won't be at the Lab Session tonight - the Piobreach Competition begins
at 7pm at the Lousac Library.

In the past week or so, the Fouracre Group delivered three cast off
systems to the Mabel T. Caverly Senior Center. Each has Windows 2000.
Fouracre maintains the licenses. They took the systems these replaced to
back-up the harddrives, clean the harddrives, and ... well, they are
supposed to be passed on to members of MTCSC who don't have computers
and can't afford to buy something outright.

My conclusion: just like the Linux experience in areas of the world
where pirated sofware is not suppressed, the low cost of the open source
distributions is not an attraction. Thus, we, who wish to see Linux or
any of the open source BSD's (and free as in beer - why is it geeks
drink beer instead of, say, a good, well aged, single malt?) need to
emphasize the functional benefits as well as the free (as in liberty)
aspects.

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .-.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Woody" v3.0r1