Re: Novel Linux survey

Subject: Re: Novel Linux survey
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net )
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 08:56:26 AKDT

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 07:34:36AM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 01:32, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> > Novell is running a survey on distros being used. RedHat was in first
> > place with Gentoo running second - until Gentoo mentioned the survey on
> > their main web page.
> >
> > www.novell.com/linux/
> >
> > The poll is obviously not particularly scientific. But it is interesting
> > to see where things are shaking out now and then. What's coming up on
> > the radar and who's dropping off.
> >
> > Gentoo does acknowledge that that reason they are probably now leading
> > the poll is probably due to their mentioning the poll. It will be
> > interesting to see if the distro actually has staying power - or is just
> > a passing fad.
> >
> > Jim Gribbin
> >

> http://zynot.org/
>
> A Gentoo fork and some internal rumblings.
> --
> Greg Madden
> Precision Air Balance, Inc.
> Phone: 907-276-0461
> email: pabi@gci.net
>
> ---------
I see this fork a bit differently. The Zynot Foundation is circling the
wagons in preparation to repel boarders (to mix a metaphoric cocktail).
That is not all they are doing. It is clear that they want to develop
along the lines of the Gentoo Distribution concept apparently without
the baggage of the rest of the Gentoo developers. This is the beauty of
the open source movement. They can do their own thing without paying
some other organization for the priviledge of being inovative.

I see the overall open source situation a bit differently from that of
the Zynot Foundation. They are concerned with "ensuring that the
involved intellectual property cannot be subverted by any single
for-profit interest." I am glad they are doing it so I don't have to. I
don't think the effort is necessary, but I can rejoice in their
determiniation to actively fight against the SCO's of the world.

Does anyone remember the copyright or trademark case against some fellow
who tried to register "Linux" as his own. The court case was settled in
favor of Linus Torvalds as the owner of "Linux" after the intervention
of interested open source parties.

Again, better them than me. Cheerio! fgd.

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .-.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Woody" v3.0r1