Re: apache on mandrake 9.1 error 403 forbidden / access?

Subject: Re: apache on mandrake 9.1 error 403 forbidden / access?
From: Michael Fowler (michael@shoebox.net)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 12:57:53 AKDT

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 01:47:29PM -0800, LT wrote:
> --
>
> 403 - Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>
> --

This error is caused by you trying to access, say, "http://www.curly.net/".
Your web server has Indexes turned off for that directory, meaning it won't
display a listing when you try to retrieve a directory. The fix is to
either turn Indexes on with the Option command (probably not what you want),
or provide an index.html file. The index.html file is the default file
Apache looks for when a directory is requested; it may be different on your
server if you've specified the DirectoryIndex directive.

> To which I reply under my breath "I'm not %$%&^* trying to access /".
> Be that as it may....

When you request "http://www.curly.net/" you are requesting "/", relative to
the document root. That's the path part of your URL, just like with
"http://www.curly.net/foo/bar.html" then "/foo/bar.html" is the path part,
which will be mapped to "/var/www/www.curly.net/foo/bar.html".

Michael

--