[Fwd: [OT] OVER 500 GERMAN GOVERNMENT AGENCIES USING OPEN SOURCE]

Subject: [Fwd: [OT] OVER 500 GERMAN GOVERNMENT AGENCIES USING OPEN SOURCE]
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 22:35:58 AKDT

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:02:40 -0400
From: Fred A. Miller <fmiller@lightlink.com>
To: SuSE OT List <suse-ot@suse.com>

OVER 500 GERMAN GOVERNMENT AGENCIES USING OPEN SOURCE

Posted June 25, 2003 7:07 AM Pacific Time

One year after the German Federal Ministry of the Interior
agreed to a partnership with IBM to supply open-source
software on new computers to federal, state and local
governments as well as other government agencies, more than
500 groups have signed up for the service.

On Wednesday, Minister Otto Schily referred to the agreement
during a news conference in Berlin as a "milestone" in the
government's efforts to create a diverse, open software
landscape in the public sector. "The numbers speak for
themselves," he said in a statement released at the
conference. "Demand is so great that we will offer an online
registration service to speed up the process for all
interested parties."

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/06/25/HNgermanos_1.html

--
Planet Earth - a subsidiary of Microsoft®.
We have no bugs in our software, Never!,