Re: login problems

Subject: Re: login problems
From: Joe Dintzner (joe@alaskancomputers.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 19:06:57 AKDT

AKLUG, (happy fishing! 2 kings per day at the Deshka!)

Since the topic is up I want to ask a simple question that probably
could be answered by a google.com/linux search in less time it takes me
to ramble on.

Since upgrading to RH9.0 my user shell does not display the directories
and files in a color group (like the one achieved with 'su - john').

Is it merely a difference in the shell nature or was the default user
shell changed in 9.0??

--
joe

"By golly, I'm beginning to think Linux really *is* the best thing since sliced bread."

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 18:32, Mac Mason wrote: > You can fix the path thing by always using "su -" > > like "su -" for root or "su - mac" to switch to my user. > > That makes it a login shell - much happier. > > > ~Mac~ > > > > > On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 19:36, Greg Jetter wrote: > > On Thursday June 19 2003 1:25 pm, Lee Ross wrote: > > > Greetings, > > > > > > A short time back I found Linux locked up. After many hours of reading = > > and > > > trial and error, I was able to manually repair things and got back to > > > 'almost' normal. One little glitch left over from that mess is a login > > > problem. If I'm at my user level and want to login as root I should be = > > able > > > to log out of user and then log in as root. Visa versa, from root to us= > > er. > > > This does not work any longer and now I have to 'restart the computer' = > > to > > > be able to log in as 'root'. Once I am done in root I can log out and l= > > og > > > in as user with no problems. This is al done on the GUI, Gnome. Grub is > > > being used also. > > > > > > I cannot figure out how to login when in the terminal window, either. A= > > s > > > usual, I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. > > > > > > I have Red Hat 8.0 - i686, 2.4.20-18.8 - Qt library 3.0.5 Gnome interfa= > > ce. > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > You can always get root access from a normal user account with the "su"=20 > > command , open a terminal and type "su" you will be promped for a pa= > > ss=20 > > word , enter the "root" password , you will see the prompt chang to indi= > > cate=20 > > that you are now "root" , one problem you may encounter is that when you= > > use=20 > > the "su" command you may find that the "path" envirment varaible become= > > s=20 > > confused , so for instance if you need to execute as root a command in = > > the=20 > > /sbin directory instead of just typing the command name you have to typ= > > e in=20 > > the full fpath to the command. like /sbin/grep instead of just grep. > > > > additionaly you allways have additional login terminals on the function= > > keys =20 > > "cntrl->alt->f2 , f3,f4,f5,f6, etc. so you can allways login as root an= > > d=20 > > fix something that went wrong. > > > > Greg J > > > > > > > > > > --------- > > To unsubscribe, send email to <aklug-request@aklug.org> > > with 'unsubscribe' in the message body. > > > > > --------- > To unsubscribe, send email to <aklug-request@aklug.org> > with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 13:25, Lee Ross wrote: > Greetings, > > A short time back I found Linux locked up. After many hours of reading and > trial and error, I was able to manually repair things and got back to > 'almost' normal. One little glitch left over from that mess is a login > problem. If I'm at my user level and want to login as root I should be able > to log out of user and then log in as root. Visa versa, from root to user. > This does not work any longer and now I have to 'restart the computer' to > be able to log in as 'root'. Once I am done in root I can log out and log > in as user with no problems. This is al done on the GUI, Gnome. Grub is > being used also. > > I cannot figure out how to login when in the terminal window, either. As > usual, I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. > > I have Red Hat 8.0 - i686, 2.4.20-18.8 - Qt library 3.0.5 Gnome interface. > > Thanks, -- joe dintzner pc upgrades

"By golly, I'm beginning to think Linux really *is* the best thing since sliced bread."