Re: firewall

Subject: Re: firewall
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 10:29:51 AKDT

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Michael Gillson wrote:

> A friend wants me to help him set up a firewall/router. I have the
> RedHat 9 boxed set. We will have two network cards in the PC with one
> card
> going to the GCI cable modem and the other network card connecting to
> his private home network.
>
> I did this with help awhile ago with RedHat 7.2 and it works so well, I
> never look at it nor do I remember what I did.
>
> They want internet access from their private network via the
> firewall/router. All the private network PC's are Win98 or higher
> windows machines.
> Also, can the firewall/router be configured safely so he can control a
> windows PC behind the firewall?
>

> Any tips, hints, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I sent an example iptables script off list - I can post it for the
archives if anyone wants it.

You can control a Windows PC behind the firewall, it is just a question of
opening the correct ports in the firewall. It is a good idea to limit the
IP addresses that you can connect from as well, so that not everyone in
the world can try to connect. If your computer at work has a static IP
you can limit it to that, or if your computer at work has a dynamic IP you
can limit connections to the subnet from work. "Safely" is hard to define
in this context. :)

Cheers,

James