Re: wireless

Subject: Re: wireless
From: Wesley Brown (webtacsat@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 20:59:18 AKDT

I am a wireless nut. I stand by it 100%. I started learning about wireless networks almost over a year ago. I just got my first set up about 6 or 7 months ago. Here is what I reccomend... go Linksys. It is easy, secure, and cheap; it also works with Linux and Windows. Now if you happen to have a need for wireless networking on only windows machines then maybe you should look into D-link. They offer the highest throughput with their 650+ and some other fairly new one (but you have to have their DI-614+ wireless router, or something). Believe me the transfer rate is amazing even two doors down from where I live; however, the chipset has no linux drivers and it doesn't look like any are comming out too soon. I also stand by the Orinoco gold card because it is compatible with linksys and has quite a bit of documentation on the web concerning this card and nearly any OS and/or application (plus it has an external jack for a yagi antenna... great for wardriving).
I have used many cards and all of them are good and most of them have some advantage over the other, weather it is transfer rate, range, compatibility, stability, .... Well, I am sure you get the point. Linksys is a good place to start and then as you get more involved in it you'll collect more and more, but it is so fun; especially, wardriving. There are probably thousands of AP's in anchorage alone. When you get your card just drive around on the main roads and I guarentee you'll find about a hundred in the matter of an hour or two. Good luck. Let me know what you get.

Wesley

minion <minion@mtaonline.net> wrote:

I'm looking for an access point and pcmcia card. Need some input re
distances and product quality/price. There is just too much out there.

david

--
"Look, I really don't want to wax philosophic, but I will say that if you're
alive, you got to flap your arms and legs, you got to jump around a lot, you got