RE: wireless

Subject: RE: wireless
From: Rob Cermak (cermak@sfos.uaf.edu)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 09:49:08 AKDT

I'll agree with Wesley. The PCMCIA card, definitely the gold Orinoco.
It initially didn't work with RH 7.3 and my Dell Inspiron, but after
Range Extender works like a charm too.

I'd wish they would stop selling the company:
   Proxim ORiNOCO 802.11A/B/G Gold ComboCard (buy.com)
   $101.47 ** Dunno if Linux supports this card, it may only support the
                  802.11B...

HyperlinkTech has the regular 128-bit 802.11b for $65.00...

Access points....

If you want to stay Proxim/Agere (Orinoco), the BG-2000 is
a steal:

  warehouse.com
  ORiNOCO BG-2000 wireless gateway 2pt w/nat f/w and vpn
  $129.95

This thing has two ports so you can have wireless and hardwired devices
off of it. Doesn't have a DHCP server, but I supply that with a Linux
box running the network into the house.

By carefully splitting the case of the BG-2000, you can get to the PCMCIA
card inside and retrofit it with an external antenna as well. Add a
pigtail and a 11db patch panel from Hyperlink...

Linksys is cheap and has lots of bells and whistles. I've had this
equipment break fairly easily as well. D-Link stuff is a bit more robust.
The D-Link DWL-900AP is fairly nice.

Hyperlink has single radio rebranded Proxim/Agere/Orinoco stuff.
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/

Rob