Re: IT Expo

Subject: Re: IT Expo
From: Matthew Schumacher (schu@schu.net)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 10:06:53 AKDT

Greg,

After speaking with the management they agreed to let me break away for
a day to participate.

It was suggested that I do a presentation on "Using Open Source Software
to Fight SPAM." I think it would be a good one, I can show how to use a
sendmail proxy to run mail though spamassassin, RBLs, Razor, and/or
MIMEDefang before delivering to a internal mail system such as exchange
or whatever. Perhaps Mike Barsalou or Arthur will be willing to help do
the presentation as they are also knowledgeable about fighting SPAM.

I find that most NT admins start paying very close attention when you
tell them a low end leftover server can remove a great deal of SPAM from
their mail system without software costs. It also enhances security as
the 'real' mail server is no longer available to the public internet.

If someone else wants to come talk about using qmail that would be
great, but I don't personally care for it or use it so I don't know much
about using it to fight spam.

schu