Re: SCSI hardware

Subject: Re: SCSI hardware
From: Matthew Schumacher (schu@schu.net)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 10:17:16 AKDT

Dhull,

Because of the vast array of controllers and disks available and there
intended uses, the answer to your question would largely depend on what
you where trying to do.

Given that there are some pretty good RAID controllers available for IDE
now and because IDE disks are pretty fast now days I personally started
using IDE where I don't have a specific redundancy or speed requirement.

I'm sure people will disagree but I have gotten very good performance
out of the dell IDE controllers (LSI megaraid) for applications that
didn't require hot swap or severe usage. In fact the dell IDE
controllers look exactly like the SCSI megaraid cards even to the point
of using the same driver.

Hope that helps,

schu