Re: Re:

Subject: Re: Re:
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 11:04:30 AKDT

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 09:52, Andy Firman wrote:

> On Thursday 01 May 2003 09:19 am, Arnaldo Riquelme wrote:
> > http://www.lindows.com/lindows_michaelsminutes_archives.php?id=60
>
> I just called to see how they would respond and the sales rep felt bad
> that he lost a sale on 5 machines. We are allowed to configure everything
> on the machine EXCEPT the OS. I told him that we run only Linux on our
> machines here but he said you "have" to pay for the Microsoft Operating
> System....whether you use it or not. I said that is not fair since we are not
> going to use the MS OS they put on the machines. He agreed.
>
> I have done the same with with IBM and their Thinkpads. One of the reps
> at IBM told me about a multi-million dollar deal he lost because of the
> Draconian OEM strangle hold Microsoft has on the manufacturers.
>
> This is all fascinating and sad at the same time. I can't wait for the day
> that we have choice in the OS put on our new machines.
>
> Now the only way around this, that I have found, is to buy the Dell PowerEdge
> boxes. I have bought many of these from Dell and I just got another one for
> $299 (after $100 rebate) and $60 shipping. If I were in the lower 48 it would
> have been free shipping. 1.8Ghz, 40GB drive, 128MB RAM, awesome fans and
> cooling system, tons of free space. Great deal and NO Operating System
> installed....you gotta love that.
>
> So if any of you are in the market for a new box, and you don't have the time
> to build your own (I don't), take a look at the Dell PowerEdges.
> Linux runs great on them!
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy Firman
> CompTIA Network+, A+, & Linux+ Certified
> http://www.firmanconsulting.com/

Typically the person answering the phone has the least authority to
change anything. I would attribute the IBm multi-million dollar deal to
'usrban ledgend' . Many Thinkpads have been certified to run Linux and
for that amount of money the customer is always right, you just need to
talk to the right person.
http://www.alinuxservers.com/Notebooks/IBMLinuxNotebooks.htm

You don't have to buy from Dell, there are plenty of options. This is
only a the first few generated by googling 'linux servers' This is
pretty impressive, only a year ago,.. not nearly this ease or number of
hits. None in the price range you mentioned though.

http://www.asaservers.com/
http://www.penguincomputing.com/
http://www.alinuxservers.com/
http://www.sgi.com/servers/altix/