(no subject)

Subject: (no subject)
From: Andy Firman (lug@firman.us)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 09:52:31 AKDT

On Thursday 01 May 2003 09:19 am, Arnaldo Riquelme wrote:
> http://www.lindows.com/lindows_michaelsminutes_archives.php?id=60

I just called to see how they would respond and the sales rep felt bad
that he lost a sale on 5 machines. We are allowed to configure everything
on the machine EXCEPT the OS. I told him that we run only Linux on our
machines here but he said you "have" to pay for the Microsoft Operating
System....whether you use it or not. I said that is not fair since we are not
going to use the MS OS they put on the machines. He agreed.

I have done the same with with IBM and their Thinkpads. One of the reps
at IBM told me about a multi-million dollar deal he lost because of the
Draconian OEM strangle hold Microsoft has on the manufacturers.

This is all fascinating and sad at the same time. I can't wait for the day
that we have choice in the OS put on our new machines.

Now the only way around this, that I have found, is to buy the Dell PowerEdge
boxes. I have bought many of these from Dell and I just got another one for
$299 (after $100 rebate) and $60 shipping. If I were in the lower 48 it would
have been free shipping. 1.8Ghz, 40GB drive, 128MB RAM, awesome fans and
cooling system, tons of free space. Great deal and NO Operating System
installed....you gotta love that.

So if any of you are in the market for a new box, and you don't have the time
to build your own (I don't), take a look at the Dell PowerEdges.
Linux runs great on them!

--

Thanks,

Andy Firman CompTIA Network+, A+, & Linux+ Certified http://www.firmanconsulting.com/