Re: Problems with qmail...

Subject: Re: Problems with qmail...
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 13:42:30 AKDT

Greetings David and all.

My understanding regarding any SMTP is it finds the addressed host
by the usual DNS service out there in cyberspace, that is, the
Internet. Thus, to get your local SMTP (qmail) to send messages, you
need only a caching DNS server. I assume you are trying to send
e-mail outside your LAN. I have setup Bernstein's dnscache, which
does the job nicely.

I have not yet solved the problem of local delivery, which would
indeed require a local DNS and a local (bogus) domain.

Thanks also to Christopher E. Brown for his remarks regarding qmail
development and Bernstein's, ah ... claims. I have installed qmail,
but I now am having second thoughts. E-mail is very complex
regardless of which software one uses. I want security and logical
directions to setup and maintain the software suite. I have rejected
sendmail as well as bind on both counts. I note that Leprosy was
around before Christ was Corporal, but I am not interested in
catching it or any other disease. So, I will be looking into postfix
as a kinder, gentler, SMTP.

fgd.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 06:15:38 -0800
"David J. Weller-Fahy" <lists@weller-fahy.com> wrote:

> * Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net> [2003-04-29 14:26]:
> > qmail does require a fully functioning dns server to work and
> > you must have a fqdn to use it. If you have a fqdn in dns at
> > your upstream that would work, otherwise you will need to set
> > one up.
>
> Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do (set up internal DNS that
> doesn't talk to the outside world). Unfortunately, there are two
> things that I can't get to work. 'dnsname' returns blank (no
> matter which ip I put in), and dnsfq returnd hard error whenever
> any parameter is used.
>
> <scratching head>
>
> I even reduced the complexity of the 'data' file for tinydns to
> test it:
>
> .weller-fahy.com:127.0.0.2:a
> .1.168.192.in-addr.arpa:127.0.0.2:a
> @weller-fahy.com:192.168.1.3
> =eeyore.weller-fahy.com:192.168.1.3
>
> That's it. From all the reading that I've been doing, it should
> work, but it doesn't.
>
> Grrr...
>
> Regards,
> --
> David J. Weller-Fahy | 'These are the questions that kept
> me out largely at innocent dot com | of the really *good*
> schools.' www dot weller-fahy dot com | - One of
> The Group

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.