RE: OT GCI E-Mail

Subject: RE: OT GCI E-Mail
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 08:33:13 AKDT

Andy Firman responded to:
> Adam Elkins whom wrote:
> > Is anyone eles getting slammed with Viagira spam? I get
> > about 10 a day now, time to filter...
>
> It is getting way, way out of control and has forced me to
> setup Fetchmail and Spamassassin to filter my GCI email
> accounts and personal domain accounts.
[...]
> As for the paranoid types out there, I really doubt GCI is in
> collusion with spammers. (Leif, care to comment on that one:-)
> I get spams all day from support@gci.net to support@gci.net.
> It is a VERY common spam tactic to forge the headers. That
> is obviously the case here.

Wow. I wish I was only getting 10 spam a day.

I have two email addresses that are protected by MailGuard.
this one, and my personal account.

account spams
-----------------
#1 104
#2 86

'snuck thru' 67

   total: 257

I also use Cloudmark SpamGuard for outlook, so most of those
that 'sneak thru' are filtered out by that. only about 5-10 a
day are actually in my 'inbox', but I still have to search
through the quarrentined messages and pick out the false
positives -- about 5 a day.

As for collusion with spammers? I don't think that I even
need to answer that obviously flame-bait-laced comment.
No ISP in their right mind would collude with a spammer, as it
is a financially detrimental move.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s