Re: linux boxes at Salvation Army

Subject: Re: linux boxes at Salvation Army
From: Damien Hull (dhull@digitaloverload.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 19:54:54 AKDT

Well, it looks like I've got at least one person who buys old hardware.
Here is what I've found out and what I have planed so far.

1. Keep the pricing reasonable. I've seen P100 at $100. I was thinking
more like $20 to $25. Better to keep the price low and get it off the
shelf then pay $15 to through it out.

2. I have used FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Linux. I currently use Debian Woody.
I just suggested using Linux because that's what most people are
using.If there are people out there willing to buy a FreeBSD or OpenBSD
box I'll build them.

3. I have built firewalls with OpenBSD and Linux. OpenBSD is nice
because it has RIP (routing protocol) built in.

4. Any boxes that can't be used will be parted. Watch for parts to show
up in the stores.

I was able to take a look at some of the hardware at the warehouse and
most didn't look good. Didn't plug them in at all so I can't say for
sure but that's what they looked like.

The other down side is that I found only one network card. It had Novell
printed on it and I couldn't get it to work. If I don't get any network
cards I won't be able to build firewalls.

On the up side I did see a few SCSI controllers.

For exotic hardware I found two routers that did RIP and NetBEUI. I also
found a CSU/DSU which I will be bringing to the Friday Night meeting if
anyone wants to play around with it. I don't know if it works.

Well, that's it for now.

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:03, WarDriver wrote:

> I just happen to snatch those things up all the time. I use them mostly for firewalls/wireless access points. Believe it or not, slack9 runs pretty good on lower end systems, provided you have the disk space. (The 2.4.20 kernel is pretty fast on the p166 I'm on now...) Otherwise, you could build a cluster...
>
> Adam
>

> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:56:26 -0800
> Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net> wrote:
>

> > I just started working for the Salvation Army. Part of my job is to fix
> > computers that have been donated. Because these are low end systems we
> > are the only group in town that can find a use for them. My plan was to
> > turn them into Linux boxes of some kind.
> >
> > Here are some of the criteria I'm looking at
> >
> > 1. Minimum speed - I'm thinking P200
> > 2. Distribution of Linux - maybe Debian but I'm also looking at mulinux
> > 3. What will they be - Workstation, Firewall, etc...
> > 4. Price
> >
> > If any of you have any ideas let me know. I haven't had a chance to play
> > with any computers yet so I don't know what I'll be working with.As soon
> > as I find out I'll let every one know.
> >
> > --
> > Damien Hull
> > Network Administrator