Problems with qmail...

Subject: Problems with qmail...
From: David J. Weller-Fahy (lists@weller-fahy.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 22:24:10 AKDT

More specifically, with the program dnsfq that is installed with qmail.
If someone could give me some feedback on my tinydns data file, to
ensure that the DNS portion is setup correctly, then I'll get on with
the next step (figuring out what else is wrong! ;).

When running '/var/qmail/configure/config' I get:

#v+
Your hostname is eeyore.weller-fahy.com.
hard error
Sorry, I couldn't find your host's canonical name in DNS.
You will have to set up control/me yourself.
#v-

My 'data' file consists of:

#v+
# fake root nameserver
..:192.168.1.4:a:259200
# name of authoritative nameserver
.weller-fahy.com::ns1.weller-fahy.com
.weller-kin.com::ns1.weller-fahy.com
# mail exchangers
@weller-fahy.com::mail.weller-fahy.com
@weller-kin.com::mail.weller-kin.com
# firewall
=slug.weller-fahy.com:192.168.1.1
# old server
=pogo.weller-fahy.com:192.168.1.2
# server machine
=eeyore.weller-fahy.com:192.168.1.3
# aliases for use with ntpd and http servers
+time.weller-fahy.com:192.168.1.3
+www.weller-fahy.com:192.168.1.3
# name server ip (aliased on same server as eeyore)
=ns1.weller-fahy.com:192.168.1.4
# aliases for use with qmail and https server
+mail.weller-fahy.com:192.168.1.4
+mail.weller-kin.com:192.168.1.4
+www.weller-kin.com:192.168.1.4
# computers
=pooh.weller-fahy.com:192.168.1.10
#v-

This DNS server will ONLY be used within my LAN, not outside. One of
the multitude of pages I've read recently mentioned that when setting up
a private DNS server, you have to have a root nameserver. The other
stuff should be fairly clear. Oh, and 192.168.1.3 is the actual IP of
the NIC in that computer, 192.168.1.4 is aliased on startup. DNScache
runs on .3, tinydns on .4.

So, any suggestions, critiques, statements along the lines of, "Why in
the world did you do it *that* way," are more than welcome. ;]

Regards,

--
David J. Weller-Fahy        | 'These are the questions that kept me out
largely at innocent dot com |  of the really *good* schools.'