Re: [Fwd: VPN setup]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: VPN setup]
From: Andy (lug@firman.us)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 21:18:52 AKDT

> Just got asked how much work this would be: Small business owned by a
> friend has a main office in Anchorage with satellite offices in Kenai
> and Fairbanks. This is a medical-type office, so HIPAA's "you must
> protect your data" clauses apply. They want to set up a VPN to talk
> between the offices, store data at the main office in Anchorage, etc.
> All the offices currently use dialup for internet, which I already
> warned her probably needs to change to broadband...
>
> I know little about VPNs, especially when we're talking about setting up
> something robust enough for a business to use. Anyone experienced with
> this care to discuss it? At this point she's wanting an estimate on
> cost... I've actually got three boxes that can be used as a main server
> and satellite links, but the remainder is kind of fuzzy :-)

I wanted to do a Linux based VPN this month for practice, but I am too busy.
This is what you want to look at I think:

http://www.freeswan.org/intro.html

I have not read about freeswan yet, but I am sure you want to firewall the
gateway machines as well and I can't recommend this Shorewall "iptables made
easy" enough. It helped me learn about iptables rather quickly.

http://www.shorewall.net/

I recommend that they upgrade to broadband.
Let us know how it goes.

Andy Firman
CompTIA Network+, A+, & Linux+ Certified
http://www.firmanconsulting.com/