[Fwd: VPN setup]

Subject: [Fwd: VPN setup]
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 20:55:24 AKDT

Have to remember to send this from the right account :-/

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --
-- Desc: Forwarded message - VPN setup

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:45:22 -0800
From: Tom <tom@alaskatech.org>
Subject: VPN setup
To: aklug@aklug.org

Just got asked how much work this would be: Small business owned by a
friend has a main office in Anchorage with satellite offices in Kenai
and Fairbanks. This is a medical-type office, so HIPAA's "you must
protect your data" clauses apply. They want to set up a VPN to talk
between the offices, store data at the main office in Anchorage, etc.
All the offices currently use dialup for internet, which I already
warned her probably needs to change to broadband...

I know little about VPNs, especially when we're talking about setting up
something robust enough for a business to use. Anyone experienced with
this care to discuss it? At this point she's wanting an estimate on
cost... I've actually got three boxes that can be used as a main server
and satellite links, but the remainder is kind of fuzzy :-)