Re: Bad processor or motherboard?

Subject: Re: Bad processor or motherboard?
From: Christopher Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 12:43:25 AKDT

* David J. Weller-Fahy <lists@weller-fahy.com> [2003-Apr-17 12:33 AKDT]:
> I've got a Shuttle FV24 v2.0 motherboard with a Celeron 1 GHz (100 MHz
> FSB) processor in it. It's locking randomly on every OS I try. I
> finally downloaded the Memtest-86 cd image, and let it run all the tests
> on the memory, and it's failing at a specific percentage, on a specific
> test (2% into Test #6 [Modulo 20, ones & zeros, cached]). Now, I've
> swapped out all the memory, same failure. All tests were done with the
> Fail-Safe defaults loaded in BIOS, except that I turned off the
> framebuffer for the internal video card. This leads me to believe that
> either the processor or motherboard is failing.

I don't know what the fail-safe defaults are, but does the BIOS have a
setting for the bus speed to the memory? I had what looked like bad
memory at 166 MHz, but memtest86 didn't find any issues at 133 MHz.

Chris

--
Christopher S. Swingley          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program         Please use encryption.  GPG key at: