Re: up2date has hijacked my server

Subject: Re: up2date has hijacked my server
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 19:40:40 AKDT

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 enderak@gci.net wrote:

> Thanks, that worked. Unfortunately I had to resort to:
>
> > kill -9 <pid> *BLAM* Now I must clean up
> the mess
>
> Now... how do I clean up the mess? Reboot? That's
> what I was trying to avoid in the first place :)
>
> It wasn't using a whole lot of memory, so that might
> be okay, but who knows what kinds of files it had open.

Rebooting won't clean up the mess. Potential types of mess (and this
doesn't necessarily mean that any given prog always creates a mess) would be
lock files under /var/lock or other places, temp files under /tmp or /var/tmp,
and so on. You should consult the man pages for any info on that, use strings
on the binary (or if it's a script, just read it), and so on to see what needs
to be done.

One thing you might want to do in the future is use a tool like 'lsof' to see
what kind of files/sockets/named pipes a process has open prior to whacking
it.

        --Arthur Corliss