Re: Debunking the Linux-Windows market-share myth - March 14, 2003

Subject: Re: Debunking the Linux-Windows market-share myth - March 14, 2003
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 16:08:48 AKST

That original posting was made with mozilla on a SuSE Linux Engineeering
Workstation.
There are TWO Linux boxes at this desk, the old SuSE 7.1 is running two
20" monitors. This newer "testing" box only has a 21" monitor (salvaged
from a dumpster run :-))

Lithonia Lighting's Visual lighting design software doesn't (yet)
cooperate well with Wine, but VariCad runs barefoot and interfaces with
architectural AutoCAD from everywhere. Ask Fielder how to better
PowerPoint w/ Linux.

Both boxes have multiple office suites. Open Office reads most msOffice
stuff, Applix reads most WordPerfict stuff.
Linux printing is much improved. gnuCash is moving into the online
banking and has either single machine accounting or coordinated
multi-site database capability in the works. PostGres claimed to be as
fast or faster than the big name commercial DB package, and commercal
customized development support is available.

Other than 1st National Bank refusing to talk to anything but IE, whats
the problem?
It just takes time for people to find out what's going on.

We did a desktop install last night: a user area for mom's business, one
for the highschooler's games and school work, and a third for the junior
high sibling. We let the kids learn by picking the GPL games they wanted
from the install directory. By the time they learned how to do that it
was an enthusiastic family.