RE: Debunking the Linux-Windows market-share myth - March 14, 2003

Subject: RE: Debunking the Linux-Windows market-share myth - March 14, 2003
From: Michael Gillson (Michael_Gillson@chugachelectric.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 07:42:41 AKST

This is somewhat an exaggeration.

I have both Windows XP and RedHat 8

I use Quicken for my finances. I use Dazzle to extract my old video
tapes of the kids. I use Movie Maker reassembly the videos.

My XP machine easily accesses the HP Laser Printer on another XP
machine. I still do not know how to do this on Red Hat 8.
The How-To for Red Hat 8 confuse me.

I use Open Office on both machines and this is good.

Home networking is still challenging for the average user with Windows
even though Microsoft has made it very easy.
When I cannot point and click with my Red Hat 8 to use a shared printer
on my network, the desktop is not ready for the masses.

I have a Red Hat firewall, a Red Hat / Apache Web Server and a Red Hat
machine with Samba and I am very happy but I still
find that Red Hat 8 does not satisfy my everyday desk top client needs
and I know I am not alone in this idea.

If I had no past history of computing and was starting fresh, I would
probably buy an OS X Mac machine which has a good GUI front end
and a stable Unix flavor underneath.

>>> Larry Collier <larry@medease.com> 03/19/03 05:44PM >>>

I think it already is. If it were not why is MS fighting it with such
zeal.
I have two workstations by my desk. One is running WIN2K the other
RH8.0.
There is nothing I can do on the 2K box I can't do on the RH box.
Inertia
(of my customers) is the only thing keeping the 2K box here. I'd much
prefer 2 RH boxes. They don't need to be rebooted anywhere near as
often.

Anyone who can unpack a preinstalled windows could just as well unpack
preinstalled RH8.0 and start using either of them.

Larry