Re: an opinion, please...

Subject: Re: an opinion, please...
From: Greg Jetter (greg@lazymountain.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 16:28:33 AKST

On Friday March 21 2003 4:07 pm, John Peck wrote:
> Help, I need an opinion. I'm writing a grant for lab equipment and the
> only server system available is the following - a Toshiba Magnia SG20.
> The spec sheet says it comes w/RedHat 7.3. I've got no problem with th=
> OS, even though we are almost wholly a Windows shop, but I don't know i=
> "server appliances" are worth anything. All my experience has been wit=
> stand-alone servers, not this all-in-one stuff. Has anyone used
> something like this?
>
> Value=09 Item
>
> $1600
> Workgroup Server Appliance (similar to Magnia
> <http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_spe=
> s/magnia_SG20.pdf> SG20)
> All in one device that is a file server, DSL router, wireless access
> point, and much more.
> Celeron 533MHZ/128MB/40GB/Mdm/LAN/WiFi access point.
>

> John Peck II
> Program Asst. / Computer Technician
> UAA Adult Learning Center
> (907) 258-3195

Depends on what you will be using it for , this look simmilar to the SUN=
=20
cobalt Cube , appliance , does the same thing , I've install a couple o=
f=20
them mostly for small biz , to handle internet , e-mail and some file=20
sharing.

they are a cheep alternitive that can work well for small groups.

Greg