an opinion, please...

Subject: an opinion, please...
From: John Peck (anjcp@uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 16:07:44 AKST

Help, I need an opinion. I'm writing a grant for lab equipment and the
only server system available is the following - a Toshiba Magnia SG20.
The spec sheet says it comes w/RedHat 7.3. I've got no problem with the
OS, even though we are almost wholly a Windows shop, but I don't know if
"server appliances" are worth anything. All my experience has been with
stand-alone servers, not this all-in-one stuff. Has anyone used
something like this?

Value Item

$1600
Workgroup Server Appliance (similar to Magnia
<http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_spec
s/magnia_SG20.pdf> SG20)
All in one device that is a file server, DSL router, wireless access
point, and much more.
Celeron 533MHZ/128MB/40GB/Mdm/LAN/WiFi access point.

John Peck II
Program Asst. / Computer Technician
UAA Adult Learning Center
(907) 258-3195