turned 13 yr old loose with linux box

Subject: turned 13 yr old loose with linux box
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 00:49:36 AKST

I got tired of my niece borrowing my play-around box to do her homework
on. Finally put together a new piii 733/133 box out of some stuff I had
lying around plus some new stuff. I didn't think a grubby old box I had
laying around would go over real well, so I put the stuff under a new
cover.

Set her up with a basic RH 8.0 install. Only actually showed her how to
fire up the browser and get into google as she was supposed to look-up
some stuff on the net for a class.

Then she asked me how to install MSN Messenger so she could consult with
classmates on homework (yeah, right), I of course set up GAIM, I also
discovered she she had found OpenOffice and was doing her homework
there. She's just finding stuff by clicking on icons on the desktop.

Could get interesting now though. Apparently she hadn't clicked on the
red hat at the end of the panel and when I showed her how to get back
into gaim after accidentally closing it, she discovered several more
menus worth of stuff to click on.

Jim Gribbin