Re: gnumeric and macros?

Subject: Re: gnumeric and macros?
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 10:59:06 AKST

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 09:41, Arthur Corliss wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, William Bouterse wrote:
>

> > Has anyone seriously used Gnumeric ?
>
> I use it extensively, but *how* I use it is perhaps not that impressive. ;-)
>
> > It appears to be a very impressive Spreed Sheet app.
> > with some things even excell does not have however;
> > showing it to a db admin person recently I was asked...
> > "Where's the Macros?"
> >
> > Being relatively cluless with regards to spread sheets
> > and macros, other than theory I could not quickly answer?
> >
> > Is there the equivalent tool with Gnumeric ?
>
> I don't know of any macro support in Gnumeric, nor is there any mention of
> such in the manual. You can do some automation with it externally via CORBA,
> but beyond that, I know of no user-friendly interface.
>
> What's strange is that at one time there used to be some support for that, but
> it looks like it was removed from the CVS tree well over a year ago. I would
> have to think they probably removed it since it only worked with the older
> versions of Excel, and was only partially implemented at that.

There are improvements happening. The 1.1.x release branch now has a
preferences menu item. It doesn't allow a lot of tweaking but it is a
start. I use it as a glorified calculator, I enter all the HVAC Fan Law
performance formulas creating a template that I can enter variables (my
data) into. Works great and is fast & lightweight. I don't know much
more about spreadsheets though, esp Macro's.

OO.org.calc doesn't translate Excel macros (VBA) either, although the
help mentions there are way to work around this. OO.org.calc has its own
macros.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.