Re: What motherboard should I buy?

Subject: Re: What motherboard should I buy?
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 13:17:40 AKST

> On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Anthony Valentine wrote:
> I am not set on Asus, but I've been using them for so long, that I don't
> have any knowledge of other brands. Can someone recommend a good MB for
> me?
>
> I am looking for an Athlon board that will take up to and Athlon-XP
> 3000. Extra features are nice, but not necessary. I don't care about
> the price (even expensive MBs are under $200). Linux compatibility is
> the most important thing.

Can't discuss the NForce2, as I haven't used one, but I've had good luck
with the Abit KX7-333 and MSI's KT4 Ultra (which is KT400). I believe both
of them support the latest XPs; the KX7 is ~$75 or so, which is also nice;
the KT4 Ultra is one with optional LAN/6-channel sound/SATA/etc (mine has
sound and was ~$140). It uses the Via 82Cxxx sound and is supported in the
later kernels, at least... I've also had good luck with the MSI K7T
series, is you're after a cheap SDR board...

I tend to skip the RAID, sound, etc. integrated boards, as a decent Sound
Blaster is only ~$20, ditto for a 10/100 NIC.