Re: [OT] WTB Staroffice

Subject: Re: [OT] WTB Staroffice
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 14:11:25 AKST

 Adam Elkins <i-robot@gci.net> writes:

>OpenOffice is free....

Yes, and free IS good. However, SO6 does several things OpenOffice does not.

I also feel that for the nominal cost, (and it really is a nominal cost I
believe) we should support developers of third-party software for Linux.
Especially if it is not out of one's own pocket. Just
MHO, but I think that in several ways, from the consumer's POV and from the
vendor's POV, $ spent on staroffice is well spent.

 BEGIN RANT >>>>

I am still trying to get over the fact that Adobe had a version of FrameMaker
(which kicks the pants off of Office and clones) 99% operational for linux-intel
and THEN NEVER RELEASED IT!!! I used the beta version until the license expired
on 1/1/2000. I can't understand bringing a quality product that far and then
dumping it, unless the heavy hand of M$ was at play! Instead I have to keep my
old solaris box going so that I can run Frame. If fact I have to admit, I have
even got a Windoz box largely for this purpose (and so I can deal with all the
stupid attachments that gates-o-centric idjits attach to otherwise perfectly
good email)

<<< END RANT

Whew! that was cathardic. I feel better now...

PQO

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |