Re: sun-cobalt and other Linux appliance servers

Subject: Re: sun-cobalt and other Linux appliance servers
From: Greg Jetter (greg@lazymountain.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 13:34:43 AKST

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 11:31 am, Tom Bunger wrote:
> I have a client who has been happily using a cobalt qube to serve up email
> for about 20-30 people. He is very happy with the way it has performed
> (pretty much "set it and forget it") for the past 4 or 5 years. He wants
> to upgrade to another qube, but judging from the sun micro site, the latest
> greatest qube is the qube3, which came out 2 years ago. Now it looks like
> they are pushing a 1U intel box that runs "Sun Linux 5.0".
>
> My question: Has anyone had good experiences with a Linux appliance that
> will allow the client to web-manage, do firewalling, and have webmail? I
> realize I could "roll my own" with webmin, squirrel-mail, sendmail,
> qpopper, etc. but I am more interested in an "out-of-the-box" solution
> like the qube since that has worked well for him. Any thoughts on the Sun
> products? others?
>
> Tom Bunger
> tbunger@afhcan.org

I've seen them in use , I've tried to use them myself in the past and got
nothing but trouble from SUN when I needed support. If you luck out and it
runs out of the box it's a great little device. If you have trouble with
it hardware or software , it takes forever to get SUN to do anything , it
took about 10 days to get an RMA on a cube last year when I attempeted to
use it for a project., on the other hand , MTA solutions runs their
web servers and DNS on the Sun raq 550 i here, just a Linux box in a
rack mount format ... basic supper cobalt cube.....

moral being , if you don't have a good supplier and have to deal directly
with SUN to fix a problem your dealing in glacier time and if your client
can putup with the wait you got a good little solution , btw IBM also
makes an Linux based network appliance just like the cube as do several other
manafactures , compac and dell ... Lots of other choices other than SUN that
 will get ya the web based admin stuff give ya mail , web server and what
not all in a little cute box ...

Greg