Re: sun-cobalt and other Linux appliance servers

Subject: Re: sun-cobalt and other Linux appliance servers
From: Tim Johnson (tim@johnsons-web.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 13:16:40 AKST

* Tom Bunger <tbunger@afhcan.org> [030226 11:43]:

> I have a client who has been happily using a cobalt qube to serve up email
> for about 20-30 people. He is very happy with the way it has performed
> (pretty much "set it and forget it") for the past 4 or 5 years. He wants to
> upgrade to another qube, but judging from the sun micro site, the latest
> greatest qube is the qube3, which came out 2 years ago. Now it looks like
> they are pushing a 1U intel box that runs "Sun Linux 5.0".
>
> My question: Has anyone had good experiences with a Linux appliance that
> will allow the client to web-manage, do firewalling, and have webmail? I
> realize I could "roll my own" with webmin, squirrel-mail, sendmail, qpopper,
> etc. but I am more interested in an "out-of-the-box" solution like the qube
> since that has worked well for him. Any thoughts on the Sun products?
> others?

  It appears that MTASolutions has migrated from win2k servers to
  on of the cobalt cubes. It 'is' running some type of linux
  as far as I know. And it uses a 'very' user-friendly interface
  from what I hear. My partner has worked more closely with the
  MTASolutions people lately, so perhaps he'll have more to
  say ..... From what I know, it works very well for those
  folks (who aren't exactly linux gurus)

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
      http://www.johnsons-web.com