ssh -X versus VNC

Subject: ssh -X versus VNC
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 18:34:38 AKST

Hey all. I'm playing around with running applications from my laptop on
my desktop, with them being displayed on the laptop - let my fast
desktop do the work and just work on the laptop in the comfort of my
living room. :) Right now I am just using ssh with the -X switch, and
it seems to be working great, except for a few segfaults, which I'm
thinking is because the programs that segfaulted use OpenGL.

Anyway, my question is, what would be the advantages of using VNC versus
just 'ssh -X'? I don't need to see my whole desktop, and I'm on a local
network which is firewalled off from the internet. Both machines are
RedHat 7.3, so Windows/Linux issues are not a problem. Do I have any
reason to use one over the other?

Thanks,
Justin