Re: Linux Fileserver in Windows Environment

Subject: Re: Linux Fileserver in Windows Environment
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 16:32:47 AKST

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:38:23 -0900 (AKST)
"Arthur Corliss" <arthur@corlissfamily.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Jason Jeremias wrote:
>

> Neither Win98 or Win XP Home can be full domain members. Not having
> used Win XP Home, I can't vouch whether it can still log onto a
> domain like Win98 can(again: Win98 can log on, but it can never be
> considered a *trusted* domain member).

WinXP Home can join workgroups, and that is about it. WinXP Home is
intentionally crippled, so it is even less capable of joining a domain
than Win98 was. IIRC Microsoft got tired of businesses using their
'home' OS (Win98) instead of the more expensive 'business' OS (Win2k
Pro), so they crippled XP Home 'to make it less confusing for the home
user.'

I've never used Samba and CUPS, but like Arthur I've never had trouble
with simply setting up a printer on a Linux machine with lpr. I differ
in that I set it up as a Samba share and let the Windows machines use
their own Windows drivers. Very stable. Of course my strategy works
best with printers that understand both PostScript and PCL5/6, and
that autodetect the print language, but it also works well with
Windows only printers like a DeskJet 820Cxi.

Cheers,

James