Re: Linux Fileserver in Windows Environment

Subject: Re: Linux Fileserver in Windows Environment
From: Michael Gillson (Michael_Gillson@chugachelectric.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 10:31:16 AKST

Even though you have set up Samba, the rights the Win98/WinXP users get
on the shared drives may not be the same rights they expect.
The clients might expect read and execute but the Linux settings are
not allowing execute
The clients might have write privileges but are unable to overwrite
files owned by another user who also has write privileges.

If the $4,000 price tag is big in your budget, go to Samba and work on
the rights until you get close enough to what you want.
I am happy with my Samba.

>>> Justin Dieters <enderak@gci.net> 02/24/03 10:26AM >>>

Our company is outgrowing our current Win2k server. We just use
Professional, so we can only have 10 connections at a time. Win2k
server with 25 connections is about $4,000.. So, naturally, I'm looking

into using Linux with Samba instead.

Our network is about 50/50 Win98se and WinXP Home. I am wondering if
anyone has any experience/suggestions/ideas/etc they can share with me

on the best way to go about doing this, and any warnings/potention
problems I should look out for.

Thanks,
Justin