Re: 64 bit SPARC CPU +3 Distros +hardrive Dies =HELL

Subject: Re: 64 bit SPARC CPU +3 Distros +hardrive Dies =HELL
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 09:40:56 AKST

> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, shortpier wrote:
> Any out there very familiar with the Sun Ultra 10 line of worstations?=20
> I got one but the 4.3 gig ide internal hd is dieing (hd seek IO error
> sectorio not found etc)=20
[snip]
> can I replace the 4.3 gig Seagate with another drive? Could not find
> anything on suns site. and a clue in how to go into the openboot and
> setup a new HD? I know I need the sundisk lable.

Yep - we've added regular IDE drives into IDE Sun boxes at work. In
particular, our backup machine was a Ultra 5 with a 40G WD in it, and the
current one is a Blade 100 with a 120G IDE in it... I believe it
auto-detected the drive geometry, and the install should handle
partitioning/setup.

I've been debating grabbing an Ultra if I get the chance - the alpha is
nice and stable, so once I get the PA-RISC box stable I'll need a new
weird toy :-)