Re: installing network in SCO Unix

Subject: Re: installing network in SCO Unix
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 10:35:17 AKST

> IIRC though, the 3c509 B and C worked alot better if you used the 3com
> provided DOS mode util to set the IO addr and IRQ,

Yep, I have three 509's (not sure exactly which models) in my smoothwall
box. If you just boot up into dos using their util program, and set
your configuration from there. After you set/verify your irq's and
everything, the card _should_ go in pretty smoothly.

> At least in 1996, to get the 3c509B/C working with Linux, FreeBSD or
> SCO you had to use the util to turn PnP off and hard code the IO/IRQ
> (the PnP IO and IRQ are stored in on card flash).

Also, you may need to turn the 'PnP OS' option in the bios off. I don't
recall at the moment if this is required for the 509's in *nix, or just
good practice in general :)

Justin