Re: installing network in SCO Unix

Subject: Re: installing network in SCO Unix
From: Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@woods.net)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 09:53:02 AKST

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, LT wrote:

> I've a client in Palmer that is running a SCO Unix Openserver box on a
> P166 (I don't have the exact version immediately handy). I need to put
> a 3Com 3C509CTXM card in it and have run into some difficulties. Is
> there someone proficient with SCO Unix that would like to come to Palmer
> and make a few extra bucks? Email me (lee@afabco.com) or phone
> 907-688-1161
>
> thanx,
>
> Lee

I am not suggesting that I am in any way willing to work on a SCO box,
however;

I can verify that the 3COM 3c509 B and C revisions in thinnet, 10BaseT
and combo versions is fully supported in SCO OpenServer 5. (The A
revision has issues) Note, this is the ISA 3c509, *NOT* the current
PCI 3c905 (evil vortex).

IIRC though, the 3c509 B and C worked alot better if you used the 3com
provided DOS mode util to set the IO addr and IRQ, as ISA PnP was
pretty new when the card was designed. Options were (IIRC) IO 0x280,
0x300, 0x320, 0x340, 0x360 and IRQs 3,4,5,7,10,11,12,14,15.

At least in 1996, to get the 3c509B/C working with Linux, FreeBSD or
SCO you had to use the util to turn PnP off and hard code the IO/IRQ
(the PnP IO and IRQ are stored in on card flash).

 --
I route, therefore you are.