Re: ms access,openoffice and mysql

Subject: Re: ms access,openoffice and mysql
From: Tim Johnson (tim@johnsons-web.com)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 18:20:50 AKST

* schneider@ferocitydesign.com <schneider@ferocitydesign.com> [030202 16:54]:

> Mehran,
>
> I've never been able to get mysql to directly import (file to file) a comma
> delimited file cleanly before,

 Yep. Sounds daunting alright. I've emailed Mehran to tell him that I
 have written VBA modules to export Access Tables to tab delimited files
 with (hopefully) proper 'escapes' that are something compatable
 with MySQL.

 I don't mind sharing them, as I wrote them specifically for a client's
 needs and I wouldn't mind seeing if they worked for someone else's needs.

 I 'mcguyver'd some example stuff that I found through the MySQL site.

> so I generally mcguyver it to get the format
> proper. It involves using the inherent msaccess export utility to save
> your data as .csv files. I create my CREATE TABLE syntax in a separate
> file and import to mysql using, gasp, copy and paste...

  My process works well with 'load local infile' but not all server admins
  like to allow that, so I build tables on my own machine and run
  mysqldump to create .sql scripts which can then create/recreate a
  remote mysql database.
  <sigh>I with all my clients would just use Linux. It would make
        life easier for me </sigh>

> If anyone has been able to use mysql's import process from a file
> successfully, please enlighten us. My way, however, does work like a charm.

 And it's what works that counts. :-)
 -tim-

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
      http://www.johnsons-web.com