RE: Commandline Mail client

Subject: RE: Commandline Mail client
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 09:52:31 AKST

Justin Dieters responded to:
> Adam Elkins, who wrote:
>> I'm looking for a mail client I can run with my gci
>> account. I've tried Pine, but I can't seem to figure it out...
>>
> You should be able to use fetchmail to download your mail,
> and then pine to read it. I think mutt can be set up to use
> fetchmail to download messages without having to run a separate
> command. Someone else probably knows more about it than I do -
> I've only used pine and mutt on servers where the mail was already
> local.

You can use any POP3 or IMAP4 compliant mail client, or fetch-mail
program.

fetchmail works well, as do quite a number of programs freely available
from your favorite open-source repository: http://freshmeat.net

as an aside, i've noticed that the mailx package incorrectly handles the
status flags in mailboxes -- it places an extra newline after the last
status message, which breaks compatibility with most other mbox readers.

So if you use, say, 'mail' to read it on the command line, but
squirrel-mail
via the web, 'mail' will really mess up the headers to the point where
you
won't know what email is from whom. a quick patch to mail solves this
problem,
and if anybody's interested, i can forward them the patch or the rebuilt
binary.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s