Re: Screen blanking

Subject: Re: Screen blanking
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 16:40:21 AKST

Hmm.. That's a good thing to know. Thanks Shortpier.

About DMPS - just looked it up, here's a cut-and-paste:

  Display Power Management System, correctly referred to as VESA DPMS as
it is a VESA standard. This is the replacement for screen savers. Screen
savers either blank the monitor, or continually change the images
painted on the screen. They do this because prolonged continuous
exposure of the screen phosphor to an electron beam can cause
degradation of the phosphor. This is especially true of older monitors,
but can occur in newer ones. If the phosphor becomes damaged from
prolonged exposure to the same screen image (a login screen or your
Windows background) permanent ghosting patterns may result. DPMS does
one step better than a screen saver and actually saves energy too by
1. turning off the video signal to your screen after a period of
inactivity which puts most newer monitors into a standby mode or
2. shutting your monitor off. For some new monitors, 1 & 2 are the same,
as these monitors are in a low-power standby mode even when apparently
turned off. DPMS is often implemented with CPU power saving (i.e. Intel
486SL enhanced CPU's) and hard drive power-down circuitry. They are all
based on the same idea: when a device is idle, slow it down or shut it
off entirely to save energy. Sometimes this can be an inconvenience,
since the computer may be busy performing some operation without any
keyboard, mouse or screen activity.

Justin