Re: Trouble mounting Win98 partition in RH8.0

Subject: Re: Trouble mounting Win98 partition in RH8.0
bryan@ak.net
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 23:05:29 AKST

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 10:41:11PM -0900, Justin Dieters <enderak@gci.net> wrote:

> I installed RedHat 8.0 a while ago, and for some reason it didn't
> automatically set up my Win98 partition with a mount point. So I
> figured no problem - I can set it up myself. So I created a directory
> /mnt/windows and put the corresponding line in /etc/fstab, but when I
> try to mount /dev/hda1 (the Win partition) it says 'Only root can mount
> /dev/hda1 to /mnt/windows'. I can mount the partition just fine when I
> am root.

Good reporting, Justin. I first thought you would be missing the
'owner' tag in /etc/fstab, but I see that's not the case. Look in
the third bit of information you posted:

> Here is 'ls /dev/hda1 -l'
> -----
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 1 Aug 30 15:31 hda1
> -----

The permissions here are the problem. Regular users, not being
in the disk group, have no read or write access to this partition.
On my system, since I want some partitions only to myself, I make
myself the owner of the partition device file:
 chown bryan.users /dev/hda1
and set the permissions so only I can access it (brw-------):
 chmod 600 /dev/hda1

That does it. This would probably work well for you.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net