Trouble mounting Win98 partition in RH8.0

Subject: Trouble mounting Win98 partition in RH8.0
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 22:41:11 AKST

Hey all.

I installed RedHat 8.0 a while ago, and for some reason it didn't
automatically set up my Win98 partition with a mount point. So I
figured no problem - I can set it up myself. So I created a directory
/mnt/windows and put the corresponding line in /etc/fstab, but when I
try to mount /dev/hda1 (the Win partition) it says 'Only root can mount
/dev/hda1 to /mnt/windows'. I can mount the partition just fine when I
am root.

I've set up mount points and fstab before with no problems, so I'm not
sure what the problem is here. Maybe a RedHat 8.0 specific quirk of
some sort? I have been using RedHat 7.3 until recently, but iirc the
windows partition was set up during install with that, so I never had to
mess with it.

Here is the /mnt/windows line from my fstab, along with my floppy and
cdrw/dvd entries for comparison. I have no problem mounting either of
those as a regular user.

-----
/dev/cdrw /mnt/cdrw iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/dvd /mnt/dvd iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows auto noauto,owner 0 0
-----

And here is the output from 'ls /mnt -l'

-----
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Dec 12 21:45 cdrom -> cdrw
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 11 19:45 cdrw
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 11 19:45 dvd
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 11 19:45 floppy
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 21 12:48 windows
-----

Here is 'ls /dev/hda1 -l'
-----
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 1 Aug 30 15:31 hda1
-----

Anyway, looking for hints on where to look next..

Thanks all,
Justin