RE: Mounting premissions

Subject: RE: Mounting premissions
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 08:05:40 AKST

Put this (or make sure the entries look like this) in your /etc/fstab:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,sync 0 0

the 'user' portion lets normal users mount the media
the 'nosuid' makes sure that normal users can't mount foreign
   set-uid binaries and become root

notice that you can 'exec' files from a cdrom, but not from floppies.

You can copy the user,nosuid to any other mountpoint that
you want users to be able to mount.

That should be enough to get you going, yes?