Re: modem-mandrake

Subject: Re: modem-mandrake
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 10:49:38 AKST

On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 02:44, Quemielle DuChesne wrote:
> Hi.
> My hubby (Matthew Dunaway) spent Christmas day pulling his hair out with Mandrake 9.0 after spending 200 bucks for 2 US Robotics modems # usr5610b. On the box it says "Minimum system requirements: Linux (kernel 2.3 and higher).
> Mandrake 9.0 is not 'seeing' this modem.
> On US Robotics' site is a trouble page for this particular modem,
> http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5610b
> with a fix for RedHat. I don't know what this is. It says the fix 'should' work on other distros. Could this solve my problem (yes, I've inherited the problem from Matt and feel honor-bound to solve it)?

I will take a stab at it, I don't use Red Hat or Mandrake. I read the
rpm file and noticed it is referencing certain file locations I
programs, and I believe they are for RedHat 6.2. I would make sure that
if you use the USR RPM that the file system structure is the same
between distros & versions,( or figure out the differences & adjust) and
I can tell you, they probably are not.

Hope this helps some.

--
Greg Madden