Re: Remote directory <-> local directory comparison

Subject: Re: Remote directory <-> local directory comparison
From: Tim Johnson (tim@johnsons-web.com)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 12:40:55 AKST

* Arthur Corliss <arthur@corlissfamily.org> [021218 10:07]:
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Tim Johnson wrote:
>

> > Howdy:
> > Here's one for you perl programmers.
> >
> > Given a list of files: I'd like to
> > 1)Confirm that a copy of any file in the list exists
> > both on a remote directory and on my local machine.
> > 2)Compare both copies to see if they are of the same size.
> > 3)Possible (but not necessarily) run 'diff' against them
> >
> > I program in rebol and python - (and can understand perl
> > enough to get me in trouble) I don't believe rebol can
> > do this reliably at all, and I'm not sure that python
> > can either, but will post those MLs too.
>
> You don't say what protocol you're using to access the remote machine.

Howdy Arthur:

  FTP or http. Whatever gets the results. However, I've already
  found my error in rebol code. So I'm now getting what I need
  from rebol.

  In rebol, I used FTP. BTW: I've been told in the Python
  mailing list that getting file sizes via FTP w/python is
  unreliable. I do believe that both perl and rebol do
  it fine... I just needed some tips.
  - thanks Arthur -

rebol example below:
>> probe info? ftp://login_here:password_here@www.johnsons-web.com/cgi-bin/wmj/WmjSearch.r
connecting to: www.johnsons-web.com

make object! [
    size: 38546
    date: 17-Dec-2002/22:29
    type: 'file
]

Or capture the object and reference the 'size method...

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
      http://www.johnsons-web.com