Using Amanda

Subject: Using Amanda
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 11:23:16 AKST

OK. I finally got it working....it should have been a lot easier...but I
complicated it.

Here is the Really Quick(TM) HOWTO for RedHat 8.0 (should work for others
though):

Install the rpm's:

amanda
amanda-client
amanda-server

Modify the three amanda xinetd files in the /etc/xinetd.d file and change
the disable to no. This will allow the amanda services to start via xinetd.
Don't for get to restart the xinetd service like this:

service xinetd restart

You need to modify the /etc/services file to contain the following entries:

amanda 10080/tcp
amanda 10080/udp
amandaidx 10082/tcp
amandatape 10083/tcp

If the entries are already there then you will have less typing to do! :)

Next, modify the /etc/amanda/amanda.conf file to point to your tape
drive...I also modified the dumpcycle, tapecycle, and runspercycle
parameters so I could issue a dump at any time without need to change the
tapes....be careful though, you may accidentally write over a needed backup.
Here is a shortened version of my amanda.conf file:

dumpcycle 0
runspercycle 0
tapecycle 1

tapedev "/dev/nst0" #no-rewind tape device
rawtapedev "/dev/st0" #rewind tape device

I used the HP-DAT tapetype and the hd1 holding disk.

You then want to change to the amanda user and run amcheck:

su amanda
amcheck DailySet1

The DailySet1 is the set of configuration files that is used as the default.
If amcheck runs without fail, then you are golden. Just issue an amdump
command and it will backup the /etc directory on the localhost. You can
change what it backs up by modifing the disklist file that is stored in the
/etc/amanda/DailySet1 directory. Here is the command that is run as the
amanda user:

amdump DailySet1

When the dump is complete, the root user will get an e-mail saying what
happened. Of course all of this is configurable, but I thought I would go
with the most direct route...just to get it working.

I hope this works a ton easier for someone else...hopefully you don't have
my ability to make something so simple...very complex. :)

Mike